Probate is the legal procedure for the orderly distribution of the estate assets. When someone dies leaving a Will this is referred to as “Testate”. To die without a will it is referred to as “Intestate”. The Estate Trustee is the person primarily responsible for the administration of the Estate. Although the following is not an exhaustive list, your responsibility as Estate Trustee will include the following:
- Locating the Last Will and Testament of deceased.
- Obtain Full names and addresses of Beneficiaries and Heirs.
- Obtain Proof of Death Certificate.
- Prepare list of all assets and debts.
- Prepare list of banks, etc. where the deceased had assets, etc.
- Arrange to hire a Chartered Accountant to complete all income tax returns.
The Estate Trustee is responsible to contest and/or settle any debts and income taxes of the deceased. To obtain a Certificate of Appointment of Estate Trustee With or Without a Will please contact my office for a quote.